Louis E. Jungbauer
4601 Weston Woods Way
St. Paul, MN 55127
Phone: (651) 288-9500
Fax: (651) 288-0227
Lou Jungbauer has been an attorney with YJB since 1981 and a partner since 1991. Some of the cases he has handled include:
- Frank Aloi vs. Union Pacific RR, during which a Denver, Colorado jury returned a verdict of $6 million in damages, at the time the highest FELA verdict in history.
- A 1988 case involving a car-train crash in northwestern Illinois, in which he obtained a then-record $1,250,000 structured settlement on behalf of a four year old boy, whose mother and unborn sibling were killed in the grade-crossing accident.
- A confidential record settlement on behalf of a locomotive engineer involved in a collision between two trains, using the theory of negligent promotion, where the Defendant Railroad certified an engineer who clearly shouldn't have been.
- A confidential record settlement in a single inhalation case, where his client had been trapped in a locomotive engine cab, which started on fire.
- A confidential record settlement in a PTSD ( post-traumatic stress disorder ) case, where the engineer's train struck a "runaway freight car," leaving the engineer unable to return to work.
- A confidential settlement in a traumatic brain injury case, in which a 61 year old conductor was injured in a caboose derailment case.
- Two cases where the railroad fired the worker for turning in personal injury report forms, assisting the worker's union officials in obtaining the employee's reinstatement with full back pay.
- Winning the job back of a North Platte, NE machinist.
Louis Jungbauer, Becky Jungbauer and Justice Stevens
in Supreme Court Justice Stevens' office. May 2009
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- St Mary's College, Winona, Minnesota
B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers In America - Railroad Law Section, 2006-Present
- Martindale AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member
- Academy of Rail Labor Attorneys, Member
- "Million Dollar Advocates Forum," for which an attorney must have either obtained a verdict or settlement of a million dollars or more for a client (Lou has done both.)
Past Employment Positions
First District, MN, Judge John Fitzgerald, Judicial law clerk, 1979 - 1980
Civil Trial Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
Lou has successfully completed 14 marathons, including in London, Chicago, and the Big Sur International Marathon, in Carmel, California.
Lou is also involved in numerous volunteer projects including:
- Past grade school girls' softball coach and umpire
- Past and current involvement in local political campaigns
- Guest columnist for local weekly suburban newspaper, The Quad Press
- Occasional guest columnist for The Catholic Spirit, weekly newspaper of the St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese
- Frequent presenter at Twin Cities' Catholic Cursillo weekend retreats
- Precinct Chairperson, Democratic Farmer Labor party, Minnesota House District 52
- Coordinated estate planning and probate seminars at a local church
- Minnesota State Bar Association High School Mock Trial Program: Lou served as a coach at Forest Lake Senior High School and Totino Grace High Schools, 1980's and 1990's; served as judge 1990's and 2000.